These cookies taste just like the ones you can get from the shops but cost next to nothing to whip up and can be made and baked in under half an hour! Once the cookie dough is made it can be tightly wrapped and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Can be baked straight from the fridge and only take about 2 hours to defrost from the freezer.
P.s they are definitely not one for the diet concious! Should be part of a balanced diet and if making for kids you could make them smaller and omit the salt.
• 250g unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups Plain Flour
• 3/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
• 100g chocolate chips or buttons
• Cream butter and sugar (make sure butter is soft and beat it together with the sugar for about 5 min until lighter in colour)
• Add in eggs and mix well (will probably look a bit lumpy and weird this is fine don’t worry!)
• Add flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda and chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. (Some recipes ponce about adding stuff in a certain way, I have made these a million times trying every method and have found that sticking it all in together makes no odds! So to make it as easy as possible that’s what I do!) Dough shoud be stiff enough that you can pick up some without it sticking to your hands too much. If it’s too wet then add another tablespoon of flour until the right consistancy. If too dry add a tiny splash of milk.
• Take handfulls of the dough about the size of a large egg and roll into a ball, place on baking tray and squash down to resemble a burger (food references make it easier for me to picture what it should look like!)
• Place quite far apart on the bakimg tray, I usually only get about 5 to a tray as they can spread a bit.
• Bake for 12 min and take out, they will still be very soft, have a look and you should see that the outside are well cooked – if they look too soft put back in for another 3min. When you take them out leave them on the tray for 10 min to firm up before removing and putting on a cooling rack.
They taste bloomin amazing warm! (And the kids will REALLY enjoy helping out! 😂)
Should make about 14 good size cookies. I used orange chocolate buttons I had leftover from cake decorating and I would buy them again for these cookies as they tasted great. They are also great with whie choc chips or any choc chips really!!
Enjoy! Send me pics of you and your cookies!!