Sometimes it’s all too easy to sit and wallow, believing that life isn’t fair. I do my fair share of moaning and sitting trying to work out what I want from life. I find myself writing lists of thing that I want to achieve, material things I want to buy and places I want to go. Well after having a long hard look in the mirror I decided I needed a shake up! A week off from proclaiming that ‘woe is me’. I decided to write a list of the things I already have. So here is my thankful list.
• Having a job that allows me to work only 3 or 4 days a week meaning I get to spend more time at home with my family than many others I know. A lot of people aren’t in such a fortunate position.
• Having a husband that tries his hardest to be the best father and husband he can be. He would do anything for us and has become more selfless with each passing year. His beloved bikes spend more time gathering dust than being out on the trails most weekends now, as he tried to cram in as much time with the kids as he can. He works rediculous hours in rediculous places and commutes a horrendous amount of hours to ensure we enjoy the nice life that we do. I rant about his lack of domesticity, about his lack of romance and his relentless dedication to his mobile phone (And yes he can be a selfish twat at times) But in the interest of fairness I wanted to point out all those other qualities that he never gets praise or gratitude for.
• I am thankful for having such an incredible family close by – I know how many others do not have this so it makes it even more apparent what a luxury this is. Not only in terms of childcare (but by god we are thankful for that!) But little things like stopping by to see how we are doing, picking us up something for our dinner and bringing us things the kids like just because they felt it was a nice thing to do. Being there when we need them. I never want to take that for granted.
• I am greatful for the fact that both our kids seem to have inherited the best from both of us. They may be the most annoying creatures in the world at times but the fun and happiness that shines out of them makes up for any of that. What amazing characters they are both becoming. My son makes me laugh a million times a day and sometimes in the midst of the chaos (usually that he’s created!) a little laughter can go a long way. My daughter is such a joyful soul that it makes it all worthwile and can make a bad day all the better seeing her smile.
• Having the most supportive bunch of friends! Some I never see from year to year, some I talk to every day and some I could call at any time and they would jump in the car and bring me some gin! I have different groups of friends ‘mummy friends’ ‘known them forever friends’ ‘internet friends’ and none are less special, they all bring something to enrich me and I will always be greatful for their presence in my life.
So there you have it, my gratitude list. Sometimes it’s nice to have a day off from all the moaning and just breathe and be greatful for everything you do have instead of being miserable about the things you don’t. Wow I need some wine after all that emotion😂
So what do you have to be thankful for? Try it, makes you feel heaps better!